2010 Prescott BBQ Days, Prescott, AZ
We won our second 2010 Reserve Champion at the IBCA sanctioned Prescott BBQ Days State Championship in Prescott, Arizona, on July 17. The big story was how my BBQ 101 student from my July 10th class, just a week before, won her very first Grand Championship!
A HUGE congrats goes out to Jennifer Duncan of Smoked To The Bone team out of Arizona. Jen took Grand Champion and blew away 33 male teams, including 2 top 2009 Jack Daniels teams, with THREE first places: 1st Chicken, 1st, Ribs, 1st Brisket, and 6th Pork.
I’m ecstatic for Jen as it’s well deserved and long time coming. I’m so proud of her. Of course, I wouldn’t imply that Jen won just because she took my class but I suspect it helped. Jen joins a growing list of my students and mentees who have won:
- Dave Malone of All Sauced Up – whom I mentored during his 2009 Rookie Year and who was my assistant cook at Wildomar 2010 has won two GCs in 2010 – Stagecoach and Bakersfield
- Jennifer Duncan of Smoked to the Bone – July 10, 2010 BBQ 101 student and GG at 2010 Prescott
- Gary Notely of Notley Que – my roadie and assistant cook on the TLC BBQ Pitmasters show has won a Reserve Champion at Wildomar 2010
- Greg of a California team who remains anonymous – 2009 BBQ 101 student won Reserve Champion two weeks later after my class
- Others – BBQ 101 alumni who have placed in the top 10 in various contests
Our scores were good for Reserve with 2nd Brisket, 6th Pork, 6th Pork, and 11th Ribs. Tommy who is Jen’s husband are both well known as the BBQ power couple who love to cook against each other. Whenever Tommy looses, he has to wear pink. Well this time, many teams brought pink accessories for Tommy should Jen kick his behind (again). Tommy is a great cook himself of Whiskey Ranch BBQ and was a great sport to support his wife in her fabulous first time GC win. Tommy was at my class also so I should give him a refresher! A picture is indeed worth a thousand words!
A big thanks goes to The Rotary Club, Mike Reimann, and Tommy Duncan as organizers; Kelly and Kathleen Macintosh as officials; and all the volunteers, judges, and helpers. We’d like to thank our terrific Sponsors: Rocks BBQ System for our Stoker temperature control system, T&H Meat and Sausages for our meat products, TheSlabs.com for our rub products, Cajun Grill for our Weber stainless replacment doors, Smokin Guns for our rubs , Butcher BBQ for our injections, and Snake River Farms for our Wagyu meat products.