Slap Yo Daddy Bone-In Pork Butt

April 6th, 201263 Comments

4.8 from 6 reviews
Slap Yo Daddy Bone-In Pork Butt

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

We’ve won over 10+ first place awards in Pork so that’s a meat we know how to cook well. In 2011, SYD finished 3rd overall amid 5,466 teams in the 2011 Kansas City BBQ Society (KCBS) Team of the Year TOY pork rankings.

When you taste our pulled pork and close your eyes, you’ll be transported to a state called “Hog Heaven”. Our Slap Yo Daddy meat rub is the secret as it has the right amount of sweetness, saltiness, and heat to transform a pork butt into something that melts in your mouth. A great way to eat it is in a pork slider sandwich with coleslaw and dripping in BBQ sauce.

I highly recommend bone-in as the big blade bone really imparts flavor. Ever wonder why all recipes for soup stock involves using bones? Notice how there are never any boneless soup recipes? If you can’t find bone-in, then boneless is also OK; just make sure it’s more than 6 lbs and you tie the boneless butt with kitchen twine to prevent it from coming apart during the cooking process.

Author:
Recipe type: Entree
Cuisine: American
Serves: 6 to 8
Ingredients
  • One 7-10 lb bone-in pork butt (as a bit of trivia, the pork butt is actually the pork shoulder and is technically called the Boston Butt. Because “Boston Butt” is a handful to say, it was shortened to just “butt”. The actual butt of a hog is called the ham)
  • 1 cup Slap Yo Daddy Meat rub (your choice of original, lower sodium, with MSG, or Hot)
  • Pork Injection
  • 2 cups apple juice
  • 1 ¼ cup of white granulated sugar
  • 3 tablespoons table salt
  • ¼ cup of white vinegar
  • 2 tablespoon of your favorite hot sauce
  • Wrapping Mixture
  • 1 stick butter (salted or unsalted are both fine)
  • ½ cup light brown sugar
  • ½ can your favorite beer
  • 2 tablespoons of your favorite hot sauce
  • 2 tablespoon Thai Red Sweet Chili sauce (skip this if you can’t find it)
  • Heavy duty aluminum foil
  • BBQ Sauce
  • 1 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce
  • ¼ cup agave nectar (dark colored variety)
  • 2 tablespoons of your favorite hot sauce
  • ¼ cup apple juice
Instructions
  1. Trim excess fat from pork butt but keep the fat cap on. Place in disposable aluminum foil pan and inject the pork in a grid pattern with the pork injection using a meat injector.
  2. Apply a medium-thick layer of SYD rub all over the butt; about ½ to 1 cup per 10 lb butt depending on how salty you want it. Use less if your butt is smaller.
  3. Let it sit overnight in the refrigerator if possible.
  4. Preheat your indirect smoker to 250 degrees.
  5. Place butt fat-side down into smoker straight from the fridge so the meat is very cold. This will aid in developing a nice smoke ring.
  6. Add 2-4 tennis sized wood chunks to your smoker (I like to combine 50-50 apple with hickory for my pork butts). Toss the wood onto the hot coals only after you put the butts in. Maintain a steady stream of smoke the first 6 hours by adding wood chunks and adjusting your fuel and vents to maintain 250 degrees.
  7. Do not open the smoker for 5 hours. After 5 hours, test that the crust has set by scratching the surface with your fingernail. If the crust has not set, the rub will come off in your nail. Check back in ½ hour increments until the bark has set (it will take about 5 ½ to 7 hours)
  8. Tear off two sheets of heavy duty aluminum foil long enough to wrap the butt.
  9. Remove butt once crust has set and place it meat side up in the middle of the aluminum foil.
  10. Mix the mopping liquid except the butter. Pour moping liquid over butt. Cut the butter lengthwise in half and place on top of butt. Tightly wrap the butt in foil and keep the seam high to avoid liquid leaking out of the foil pouch. Return to smoker
  11. Check back in 1 hour and use an instant read thermometer to probe it in several places. You want to remove it when it is around 195 and when the probe goes in easily into the meat. This can take between 1-3 hours after the butt has been foiled. Be sure to cut the foil to vent the butt to prevent overcooking after you remove it.
  12. Combine ingredients to make BBQ sauce.
  13. When butt is done, remove from smoker and let rest for at least 1 hour to tighten up the butt and for it to reabsorb the pork jus.
  14. Shred, chop, pull, or slice the butt. Apply BBQ sauce as you prefer. I prefer to use the pork jus at the bottom of the foil
  15. Serve it as a pork slider sandwich with a bit of coleslaw.

63 comments... read them below or add one

1. martin says:

Followed the process and yes it does really work!

Harry pointed out somethings I was not doing correctly like:

1) do not open the smoker for the first 5 hours. I used to mist my pork down every hour and I wondered why the bark did not set. Also opening the smoker tends to lose moisture that is already present
    2) After 5 hours (or bark set) applying the goodies and then sealing back up. Worked really well and the pork had great flavor
    3) After it reaches 195, vent the foil. This was a mistake that I had been making of re-sealing the foil and the pork basically kept cooking. When I finally went to the pulling part, the meat was over cooked and did not have any texture

Thanks Harry – your method works and mirrors the methods we see others doing

2. jp7794 says:

This was my best butt to date and will use this as my base recipe going forward. I don’t drink alcohol so instead of using beer I substituded my favorite drink, Dr. Pepper. The pork tasted like little pieces of spicy candy that melted in your mouth. Hog heaven indeed!

Thanks Harry and good luck at The Royal this weekend.

3. Pingback:Pulled pork internal temp?

4. cmac610 says:

Harry…tried the recipe and no doubt…the best pork butt to date yet!

I did think it was interesting that you recommended going straight in to the smoker from the fridge to "…will aid in developing a nice smoke ring."

Most seem to recommend meats coming to room temp, but your method seemed to work just fine. Do you do that for all your meats? Or just pork butt? Any science behind it?

Thanks for sharing a GREAT recipe!

• Harry Soo says:

Yes, it’s always better for low-and-slow BBQ to put your meat into the pit super cold.
      There is a lot of science about wet bulb and dry bulb temps, and lignin which takes too long for me to explain.
      Just trust me.
      Conversely, when you grill a steak, it’s better to wait until the steak gets to room temps. Again, a lot of science about that too.
      Maybe I’ll put it all into an SYD bbq book if anyone wants to know. This may be too techo geek for most grillers. They just want a good result and don’t want nor need to know why! 😉

• cmac610 says:

After the results from your recipe, I have NO PROBLEM trusting you Harry! Was just curious. Well off to do a couple more butts this weekend. Thanks again and thanks for being so responsive!

• bbqgeekess says:

I am very excited at the prospect of you selling a SYD BBQ book! I know it would sell very well especially with the popularity of the affordable WSM!

About putting the cold butt in the smoker to allow it to have a better smoke ring. Would this be due to expansion/contraction? At colder temps the muscle would be contracted more and therefore more porous? If so, this makes sense since it would allow the smoke to come right in.

• Harry Soo says:

If the meat is cold, it stays in the pit longer to allow more smoke absorption and better smoke ring.

5. Bill Taylor says:

Hi! I’m eager to try this as I just came across it. I typically cook butts but I have a picnic roast I had planned to try over the holiday weekend. I’m guessing I can use the same approach for it that you use on the butt, right?

Thanks!
    Bill

6. jacunn86 says:

Interested to know your reasoning behind placing the butt fat side down on the smoker? Mostly have heard to place fat side up. Thanks

• Harry Soo says:

I like the fat to be between the meat and my fire.
      Both methods work. This question usually causes a 3-hour debate among the fat-up and fat-down camps!
      Do what you feel is right for you. BBQ is not watchmaking! 🙂

7. chmcgee says:

Hi Harry. I’m smoking 4 butts for my Dad’s birthday party this afternoon. When using the wrapping mixture, is that recipe for one butt; i.e., one stick of butter per shoulder? Also, what’s you’re thoughts on leaving the bark on wood chunks. Does it impart any adverse flavor?

8. StephenB says:

Hi Harry –

I’m a graduate of your your Backyard Pittmaster Class back in October 2011. The class changed my life! I’ve cooked numerous Pork Butts using Stubbs Pork Marinade. I just tried this recipe using the wrapping mixture with beer and butter. It came out awesome – my adoring BBQ guests loved it. BTW, I picked up a Daniel Boone Green Mountain Pellet Grill after seeing it on your webpage. Works great.

Keep up the good work spreading BBQ happiness!

9. Ryan Cambridge says:

Harry thanks for sharing this recipe. Just pulled my pork and it is the best I’ve ever had. Also I enjoyed watching you on "BBQ Pitmasters". You and Johnny Trigg are the ones who got me into this.

• Harry Soo says:

Ryan, glad you enjoyed the recipe and experienced a bit of pulled pork heaven. Keep spreading BBQ love by putting your passion into what you do.

10. DerekB says:

Harry, thank you for taking the time to share your recipes, as well as respond to your readers. Do you cook this recipe with water in your water pan? Also, what meats do you cook with a dry pan versus water in the pan?

• Harry Soo says:

I cook all my meats with the dry pan and control moisture manually using a $0.99 plastic spray bottle.
      I want it dry to create the bark and spray water to promote the smoke ring. Thanks and good luck

11. Gbraaksma says:

After smoking quite a few pork butts using another recipe, I found yours and decided to try it. It is now my go to pulled pork recipe. I followed it almost to the T – didn’t have the sweet Thai chili sauce, but substituted some of my homemade hot sauce, the pork got rave reviews from my wife, kids, and friends. Actually, no homemade barbecue sauce was needed. They are asking me to do it again! Thanks for the recipe. Will definitely be making it again!

• Harry Soo says:

Glad to hear. Make more and freeze for future as it’s the same amount of work whether you cook one butt or several.
      Cook, cool, shred, and place each butt into a half foil pan. Cover with foil tightly and freeze for up to 6 months.
      To reheat, take from freezer straight into 275F oven about 3 hours before serving.
      About 1/2 hour before serving, put into your pit. Make a lot of smoke and dap some sauce on your apron.
      Tell your guests you’ve been slaving at the pit to cook some barbecue love for them.
      Good luck!

12. Dave F says:

This past weekend I used this recipe for my daughters first birthday party. I cooked six pork butts on my WSM. I didn’t have the SYD rub so I had to use another rub and I cut the salt. Other then that I followed your recipe. Man did I get a lot complements! Guests were asking if I would cater to their parties what what I charge. I also made the oink balls. Man let me tell you these things went so fast when I made my plate they were all gone! I made 60 oink balls. Thanks for putting these recipes on here for people like me! Also thanks for making me look good!

13. David says:

so excited to try this recipe for the inaugural cook in my new WSM. One question (more for next time as too late now) but when doing the injection, lots of liquid was coming out into the container, I poured it back into a cup and reinjected but still an ounce or two of fluid in the container and the pork was obviously very moist when I put the rub on – thus there’s a fair amount of rub that dripped down with fluid into the container, etc. Is that the way it’s supposed to be or should I have let the butt rest and drained whatever it was going to drain, dry it off, clean the container and then put the rub on a drier piece of meat?

• Harry Soo says:

The excess liquid from the injection is normal as the butt will continue to drip.
      Wipe off excess injection liquid with your gloved fingers before you apply you rub.
      Let sit for a couple of hours in the fridge before you take it cold from the fridge into a 250F pit.

14. Casey says:

Harry,

I tried pork shoulder for the first time today on my WSM. I followed this recipe pretty much exactly except I pulled the shoulder off at around 200 degrees and didn’t use as much of the butter when I wrapped it. I let it rest one hour and then proceeded to shred it.

Is it normal for some of the meat along the bone to have a tougher consistency than the rest of the shoulder? The meat away from the bone and near the outside pulled apart easily and was nice and tender. The meat near the bone was tough and dry. I ended up throwing away about pound or so because I just can’t stand dry meat. The rest was quite good however.

Is this because I didn’t inject properly or should I let it cook a bit longer? Great recipe BTW.

• Harry Soo says:

Yes, there are 7+ major muscles in the pork butt so some parts may be more tender than others. For backyard purposes, try cooking a little longer and shred and mix all the meat together after cooking and cooling. For us competitors, we only turn in the money muscle so we don’t worry about the rest of the butt if it’s a bit tough. Good luck and thanks for stopping by.

15. Josh Alexander says:

Hi Harry,
    I have a 18.5 Weber Smokey Mountain and I’m going cook a Boston Butt for the first time on it and I have a few questions…
    -What method do you use to get your coals ready and do you always preheat before putting the butt on?
    -Is it OK to keep a temperature probe in the meat while cooking?

Thanks!
    -Josh

Hey Josh:
      Here is info on the coals. I don’t preheat my pit. It’s OK to keep the probe in the meat when cooking but I prefer to not use a probe.

16. Nate says:

Hi Harry, I’m new to the BBQ game. With a few successful cooks under my belt i’ll be attempting my first pulled pork long cook by cooking two pork butts for a party. I have a few questions.
    1. When you first put the butt on You say don’t open the smoker for 5 hrs. Do you open it to mist the butt with water, or do you only do this after that initial 5 hr period.
    2. How often do you mist it with water?

Thanks,
    Nate

P.S. Love the WSM so far!

Hey Nate:
      Spray once you see bark forming on the sides. I find that on my WSM and my SoCal conditions, 5 hours is about right. Besides I put my butts in at 11 pm and I need to get some sleep until 4 am. Try spraying gently first and more as the crust sets. Spray every 30 mins if you can, if not every hour is OK.
      Good luck and send pics.
      Best,
      Harry

17. Erich K says:

Hi Harry
    Just a question for you; I’ve been smoking on WSM for many years and noticed lately that my p-butts have been tough. I read on another BBQ site that they can "tighten up" if the temp in the smoker fluctuates too much during the later half of the cook (basically saying if you ck for a final temp too often you might lose heat in the smoker and it will cause the pork to get tough). I’m wondering if that’s my issue and if you’ve experienced that at all. BTW – great website; you’ve put a lot of creativity into your recipes, photos, etc..

Hey Erich:
      No need to check the temp of your butts as it’s easier and more accurate to use a bamboo skewer.
      Just probe the butt and pull when your wooden skewer goes through the butt easily.
      The best description of the sensation, by my students, is that it feels like probing peanut butter.
      Just a right amount of give. Don’t rely on the temp as every animal is of different composition of connective tissue so one butt may be 185F and another may be 205F before it’s tender.
      Try my way and see if it works better for you.
      Best,
      Harry

18. Hi Harry, I love your recipes! I am a California Native, from Ojai, and I really admire the hard work you’ve put in! I was hoping you could give me a substitute for beer? I do not drink alcohol and i saw someone used Dr. pepper, but I’m not a fan of soda. I wouldn’t mind experimenting but i only get to use my 14.5" WSM once every two weeks or so. Have you tried anything else?

Thanks in advance!

• Harry Soo says:

Hey Michael, you can use any liquid you like such as apple juice, chicken broth, or peach nectar. Good luck!

• Michael Glaser says:

Hi again Harry! I made this for my sons first birthday part with peach nectar and it was AWESOME!!! Great call on that peach nectar.. One quick question. How would you reccomend getting crusty/crunchier bark? After i wrap it in foil and let it set until the temp is <170, could i put it back on the smoker to get the bark crustier? It was pretty moist.

Thanks in advance and how kind of you to share!

Michael

Hey Michael:
      BBQ pork does not have crusty/crunchier bark. You need to grill it like a pork chop to get a crusty bark. You can also elect not to foil to keep the bark stiff (but it will likely be dry).
      IMHO the best pork bark is one that is super dark (almost black), super concentrated in flavor, and butter soft. The techniques in my recipe are designed to accomplish those three objectives.
      Regards,
      Harry

• Michael Glaser says:

Yes i have tried it without foil and you are right, DRY! Thanks for your help. Amazing as always!

ps: just ordered 5lb bag of "Love meat Tender"

Thanks!

19. Jason Reiss says:

Wow, Harry thank you so much. I cooked my first boston butt yesterday for memorial day. It was a monster success. All anybody could talk about was my bbq skills

20. Adam Pearce says:

Hi Harry, I am going to be making this soon and was wondering if you could suggest a alternative liquid instead of the beer for the wrapping mixture? I have some friends that are coming over that will not drink or eat anything that has alcohol in it. I was thinking maybe one part apple cider vinegar and one part apple juice, could you please let me know what you think? Thank you!

21. Joe Cartelli says:

Hi Harry, I am planning on making 2 of these butts for a party. I would like to make them ahead of time . The party is on Sunday, if I made them on the Thursday before, do I have to freeze it after pulling, or just refrigerate after pulling ? This is my first butt using this recipe. I have made your ribs many times, and they made me a star amongst my friends and family. Thank you !!

22. Matt Bell says:

Hey Harry ! I have 2 questions for you:

1) since you don’t use water in your water pan for the pulled pork; do you use anything to help maintain a steady temp?

2) after you’ve pulled the wrapped butt(s) off the smoker and you let them rest for an hour; do you let them rest covered in a pan? I heard about putting them in a dry cooler? what’s the best method?

• Harry Soo says:

I ensure I don’t start my pit with too much lit coals. I light up about 1/3 chimney of briquettes using the Weber Charcoal Chimney. I let the pit come slowly up to temp rather than overshoot and then have to cool my pit down.
      After you pull the butts when they are done, you MUST cut open the foil pouch to allow the steam to vent else you will have residual cooking that will make your butt be overcooked. After the internal temp drops to below 170F, you can put it away in a warming oven set for 150F or wrap in towels and put into an ice chest without ice to keep it warm.
      Good luck!

23. Peyt says:

First time I heard that taking the meat cold from the refrigerator would help increase the smoke ring. Great recipe, look forward to trying during holidays.

• Harry Soo says:

Yes, when barbecuing low and slow, it’s better to take advantage of the extended temperature gradient when you cook your meat starting from 36F from the fridge.
      For grilling, it’s generally better to let you meat rise to room temp before you start grilling.
      Good luck and thanks for trying my recipes.

24. Mike says:

Stupid easy recipe! By far the best pulled pork I’ve ever made. Only mistake. Made was inviting buddies over the first time I made it. Now they invite themselves over every time I fire up the smoker. This is the thrift SYD recipe I’ve tried and I can’t wait to try more. Thanks again Harry!

• Harry Soo says:

Hey Mike, look for butt on sale for $1.10 a pound (bonein or boneless) and spread BBQ love with your friends. Trust me when I tell you that the boomerang of barbecue love will come back to you much bigger than you started! Live, love, barbecue!

25. Joe says:

Hi Harry,
    I plan on cooking a pork butt for the first time using the recipe above on the WSM. It will be my first cook on a WSM. You say to add 2-4 wood chunks onto the coals once the temperature reaches 250 and to maintain smoke by adding wood chunks. Do you bury any wood chunks under the charcoals as well or just add them as needed? I read in the WSM seasoning comments that you bury wood chunks under the charcoals.

26. Greg says:

Hi Harry!
    If I like to smoke my port butt at a higher temp like 325, should I still put the meat on the smoker cold or should I let it warm up? Thanks for your response and hope you can hit the east coast sometime soon!

• Harry Soo says:

Yes, in general when you BBQ (indirect and hot), you want to put meat in your smoker very very cold. In general, when you grill (direct and hotter), you want to let meat warm a bit.
      Good luck.
      Harry

27. Rory orkin says:

I know it seems stupid but what do you mean by meat so de up. It has been cooking fat cap down so I would take that to mean far cap down the same as it has been cooking

28. Bobby says:

Hi Harry,

Quick question on the on the spraying water with the spray bottle. You suggest to spray the butt every 30mins after bark has set. When do you wrap it in foil then?

29. Charles Luna says:

Harry, I cooked 2 8lb butts on my new wsm22 following your directions. Cooked to 197 then wrapped in towel in cooler for 1 hour. My family said best they’ve ever had. Thanks, Charles