Slap Yo’ Daddy Jailbird BBQ Chicken – so good, you’ll go to jail if you make it!
Author: Harry Soo
Recipe type: Entree
Serves: 6 to 8
- 2 Whole Young Chickens (less than 4½ lbs ea if possible)
- 4 heaping tbsp SYD Chicken Rub
- ½ cup of your favorite BBQ Sauce
- Use kitchen scissors to cut out the backbone of the chicken and cut chicken into two halfs. You will end up with 4 half chickens (NOTE: you can also cook the chicken whole beer can style, or you can cook chicken thighs).
- Season the 4 pieces evenly with about 4 tbs total of SYD Chicken rub
- Place skin side up in aluminum foil pan and rest 1 hour in refrigerator until rub “sweats” into the meat.
- Place skin side up in 275-300 degree smoker with some apple wood chips.
- Check for doneness after an hour. It should take about 60 to 90 minutes to be done depending on how hot your smoker is and where you place the chicken in your smoker.
- Do not flip or touch the chicken until it is done.
- Use an instant read thermometer to check for doneness and remove when thigh temperature is 175 degrees and/or breast temperature is 165 degrees.
- Paint on your favorite BBQ sauce 10 minutes before chicken is done.