3-2-1 Ribs; THE BIG LIE?
Hey guys! We’ll be myth-busting today; is it really possible to cook the perfect ribs using the 3-2-1 method? For those who don’t know, this method consists of cooking the ribs on the pit for 3 hours first, then for 2 hours wrapped in foil and for another hour on the pit, covered in sauce. I think it’s impossible; a 6-hour cook time is evidently too long to cook ribs, so I’ll show you today, a method of successfully applying this technique to cook your ribs without ruining it.
Author: Harry Soo
Recipe type: BBQ
- Pork Ribs: 2 racks
- Slap Yo Daddy Chicken Rub: 5-8 tablespoons
- Slap Yo Daddy All Purpose Meat Rub: 5-8 tablespoons
- Slap Yo Daddy Championship Sauce: ½ cup
- Mustard: 2-4 tablespoon
- Brown Sugar: 1 cup
- I can't believe it's not butter: 1 spray bottle
- Agave Syrup: 4 tablespoons
- Cayenne Pepper: 2 tablespoons (to sprinkle)
- Trim your ribs by cutting off the breastbone and then the flap. Then cut off the rib tip carefully. Gently remove the false lean from the side of the ribs. Pull the membrane and remove the 1st bone. Also remove the 10th, 11th, 12th and 13th bone from the ribs.
- Apply mustard sauce on the surface of the ribs, for it to act as a schmear. Sprinkle on a generous amount of SYD chicken rub on the meat side and SYD all-purpose rub on the bone side and let it sit in the fridge for a couple of hours.
- Heat up your grill to 180 degrees Fahrenheit. This low temperature will allow the pork to cook without getting tough. Cook for 3 hours. Spray water in between so the meat doesn’t dry out.
- Sprinkle over a generous amount of brown sugar on the ribs. Spray on some ‘I can’t believe its not butter’. Then dust it with cayenne pepper and pour over some Agave. Repeat the same process on the other side.
- Push out the bones from the sides to give it the competition style look and cover the ribs in foil.
- We’ll now grill it for 2 hours at 225 degrees F After this, pour a good helping of the SYD championship sauce over the ribs. Also add a touch of honey and cayenne pepper. Cook it in the grill for 1 more hour at 180 degrees.